How to Make Apple Cider Vinegar
Which raw materials are needed? How to make apple cider vinegar by yourself? And why is cider vinegar so healthy? We would like to explain these questions briefly in this article.
The raw materials
You can use any of the following materials to make your own apple cider vinegar:
- Fresh apples
- apple juice
- Apple brandy
If you use fresh, aromatic and fully ripe fruit, you will produce the most tasteful vinegar. On the other hand, even a rich and tasty noble brandy only has a very slight apple taste when fermented into vinegar.
The fermentation to apple cider vinegar
How to make apple cider vinegar and what are the vinegar production methods? Before the vinegar fermentation can be carried out, alcohol must be produced in the liquid or an alcoholic raw material must have been used. Depending on this, there are the following production methods:
- Use of fruit or juice: Here no alcohol is present yet, therefore the alcoholic fermentation must be carried out first. The apples are processed to pulp. Now the fruit pulp – and if you only use juice according to the apple juice – is fermented with yeast, liquefier etc. You will find details on our homepage about distilling spirits.
- Vinegar from cider or wine: there is already alcohol in the liquid. Depending on the alcoholic content, the liquid has to be diluted a little bit. To start the vinegar fermentation, an optimal acid and alcohol content is adjusted. Then the mother of vinegar or starter liquid is added.
- Spirits as raw material: here too, alcohol is already present and the procedure is the same as in the previous point.
There are two methods of vinegar fermentation available for hobby purposes:
- The surface method: you put the liquid to be fermented into a container with the largest possible surface area and leave everything covered for several weeks.
- Generator process: here you need vinegar making equipment and work with a vinegar plant, the quality of the vinegar is much better compared to the surface procedure.
Cider vinegar is good for you!
Apple cider vinegar is said to have numerous health-promoting effects such as slimming, detoxification, protection against colds, beautiful skin, etc. However, only “living” apple vinegar can have all these effects, i.e. the finished vinegar must not be boiled or pasteurised. You can recognize “living” vinegar simply by the fact that it forms a mother of vinegar or becomes cloudy after a few weeks.
Apple Cider Vinegar – Classes and Vinegar Generator
Naturally we will also discuss making apple vinegar as part of our “how to make vinegar”- classes and courses.
Do you need vinegar making equipment? Then the Schmickl vinegar generator is suitable for this. Analyze the acetic acid concentration with the Acetic acid analysis kit, and the alcohol content with the Alcohol Content Determination Kit.
In our free Newsletter we regularly inform you about new features, recipes, and further developments.